Eclipse

For the very first time 

In all their undetermined years,

a ring of fire burned 

In a sudden dark sky,

And the whole world trembled

as the moon overshadowed the sun,

their primitive brains in disarray,

Wondering who they had angered,

What mistakes they had made,

and as he fell, clutching at his chest

Felt his heart race faster,

Till it stopped altogether,

Fear of the unknown,

a concept he couldn't grasp,

and they all knelt and prayed,

wept and wailed,

bowed their heads and waited,

for fire to rain down,

from the paranormal skies,

made promises to the wind,

held their loved ones close,

Spare my life, save my child,

And as sure as time,

the sun shone again, 

On a terrified new world,

Death was no longer an uncertainty,

The illusion of control had vanished,

at the mercy of nature,

the game had changed,

Now centuries later,

The sun shines still,

And here I sit, dazed and unfazed

As I run my fingers through fire,
 
Holding fire and plastic in my hands,

And I laugh as I wonder,

Couple decades from now,

What demons of mine,

will be reduced to a mere joke,

In the hands of a child.


                               --Ananya Murali

Comments

Popular Posts