Perception

think I grew up the type of person 

Who believed everyone was inherently good,

You are born with love and light

And it’s what you choose to do with it,

The world doesn’t reward good behaviour,

Good things don’t just happen to good people,

So while digging myself out of a hole 

That my good behaviour got me into,

Learnt the hard way that the world

owes you nothing,

And if you don’t pull out the gloves 

and fight for yourself,

good things will keep happening,

to everyone but you, 

my perception of reality

skewered by highlight reels on a screen,

Nobody is perpetually happy,

Maturity has nothing to do with age

And self awareness doesn’t require you

to be a good person,

Watch out for leeches of joy,

Sometimes you don’t grow 

until they’ve been burned from your skin,

Love is endless, and it starts from you

But I’m keeping it close now,

Drawing a circle in the ground

This is my space, these are my people 

Everyone else can fuck right off.

Comments

Popular Posts