Whale Song

The Gray Wolf throws his head back howling at the moon. Paws in the snow, nose in the air, he calls out to a family that knows his voice. 
A frozen forest hears him, this is his song. 

Across the oceans, the Humpback Whale sings his own tune. 
Calling out to the one he's looking for.
Rising and falling frequencies, this is his song. One that he's heard for ages, and one that'll carry on in fragments.

A continent away and completely out of earshot I sit. Looking at the moon that moves everyday and the stars that follow it.
My heartbeat the only thing reminding me that I'm awake. 
I am here.
The wind blows ever so gently and my breath whistles in the quiet of the night. 
Every breath and every one that I didn't take, this is my song.
                              I was here. 
               
                                            --Ananya Murali
                                                25-4-20


Comments

Popular Posts